Mission Statement:
"The Fort Brewerton
Historical Society will
strive to collect and
preserve history for
the education and
entertainment of the
public at large. We
shall also endeavor to
maintain and expand
existing facilities and
historical collections."

Brewerton The Prehistoric Capital of N.Y. State

1. The Native Americans occupied Brewerton for over 10,000 years.

2. On October 8, 1615 Samuel De Champlain with ten Frenchman and three hundred Huron Indians stopped at Brewerton on their way to attack the Onondaga fortification.

3. In 1653 Father Joseph Poncet a Jesuit, returning to Quebec from Albany passed through Brewerton.

4. In 1654 Father Simon Le Moyne visited the Indian village of Techiroguen at

Brewerton.

5. In 1686 Twenty canoes belonging to English and Dutch trades were buying furs at Oswego.

6. La Salle in 1673 also visited the village but it had been relocated across the river.

7. In the year 1700 six hundred bateaux were reported crossing the Oneida Carry going to Oswego to trade for furs.



French and Indian War

8. General Braddock and Governor Shirley transferred 4 companies to Oswego in June 1755 followed in July by a New Jersey Regiment under Col. Schuyler and in August 1500 men under Gov. Shirley, and All of the above troops movements were through Oneida Lake and river.

9. In the spring of 1756 Col. Bradstreet began transporting supplies and troops in bateaux to Oswego. On one of the return trips from Oswego he and his men were attacked by French and Indians at what is now Battle Island north of Fulton. The engagement was renewed it the afternoon and the English were victorious.

10. November 12, 1758 the French destroyed an English settlement on the north side of the Mohawk River opposite Fort Herkimer at German Flatts.

11. Another party of French and Indians attacked Fort Herkimer on the south side of the river on April 30, 1758.

12. In July 1758 Col. Bradstreet and Col. Willet commanded an army of 3,000 men through Oneida Lake on its way to attack and capture Fort Frontenac at the present day Kingston Ontario, Canada on August 27, 1758

13. In 1759 following the Niagara Campaign Fort Brewerton and the Royal Block House was built.

14. In June 1759 General Prideaux and Sir William Johnson, with an army of 3,000 men set out with bateaux from the head of Oneida Lake to capture Fort Niagara.

15. In 1760 General Amherst headed an army of 10,000 troops through Oneida Lake on an expedition to capture Montreal. On the return trip a large number of New Jersey Militia crowded on one large boat at Brewerton. During the passage across Oneida Lake a heavy gale arose, it swamped the boat and more that 20 soldiers were drowned.

16. In 1764 Col. Bradstreet's army of 2,000 men passes through Oneida Lake on their way to relieve Detroit During the Pontiac Rebellion.

17. Later in 1764 Sir John Johnson led a war party of 550 Iroquois through this waterway.


Revolutionary War

18. In August 1777, Col. Barry St. Ledger led an army of about 1500 men to lay siege to Fort Stanwix. He was unable to take the fort and on his return to Canada it's believed he stopped overnight at Fort Brewerton. The ruined fort is mentioned in a letter to Burgoyne dated August 23, 1777.

19. On April 20, 1779 a detachment of the Clinton Sullivan Army, consisting of about 550 men crossed Oneida Lake, left their boats at Brewerton Opposite the old Fort, marched to the Onondaga Castle south of Syracuse and destroyed the village and killed and captured a number of savages. The expedition spent a night on Frenchmen's island on it's return.

20. In October 1780 Sir John Johnson, led an army of about 1,000 over this water route against the Mohawk Valley settlement.

21. On Feb. 9, 1783 Col Marinus Willet with 400 men and sleighs crossed Oneida Lake on the ice. Leaving the sleighs at Fort Brewerton, they marched along the river toward Oswego. They became bewildered and lost in a swamp a short distance from Oswego. As a result the element of surprise was lost. The attack was aborted and they returned to Fort Stanwix. This incident occurred nearly a month after the article of peace had been signed.

22. The Oliver Stevens Family came from Canaan, Connecticut; and settled near the old Fort site in 1789. They were the first white settlers in Oswego County.